Monday 28 May 2012

Double Chocolate Banana-Zucchini Muffins

Pin It


Making these double chocolate muffins was actually a bit of an accident. They were supposed to be the original chocolate chip zucchini muffins from Allrecipes. In the middle of mixing my ingredients, however, I realised I only had milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet called for in the recipe. Since I had already added the sugar, I was worried that my muffins would be too sweet with the milk chocolate. So I decided to add some cocoa powder to cancel out a bit of the sweetness. And it turned out to be a great idea! These muffins aren't too sweet but still have a great chocolate flavour. I'm in love with them!

These muffins are actually healthy-- if you replace the oil with mashed banana (like I did), the muffins contain no oil or butter. I recommend substituting the oil for banana as it adds a spongier texture (which I love) and the slightest hint of banana flavour. My little sister who's insanely picky and hates bananas loved these muffins! If you are seriously against bananas, however, (or dislike spongy textures in baking), feel free to substitute the banana for vegetable oil.

Since they have banana and zucchini, they're healthy enough for breakfast, right? And it's okay to justify eating three of them in one sitting as well, right? Because these are seriously addictive. They're light enough for a guilt-free snack, but are still really really delicious. I'll be making these muffins again and again.




Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1½ tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup mashed banana (approx. 1 whole banana)
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I didn't have any on hand, so I substituted apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a bowl, combine the first six (dry) ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, mashed banana, milk, lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar), and vanilla; mix well.  Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips. 
  3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins until two-thirds full.
  4. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Those look SO good! Thanks for sharing! I'd love if you linked these or any of your other recipes up to my Sweet Saturdays link party this week! Hope to see you there!
    -Sophie

    http://lacreativitedelafille.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy,
    These muffins are just wonderful, I love the combination of flavor! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete