Saturday 7 April 2012

Everything but the kitchen sink Alfredo sauce with linguini

Pin It


This isn't a recipe, per se, but rather "inspiration." ;) This is a great way to spice up a canned alfredo sauce. I didn't have cream to make homemade alfredo, and it being the day before Easter I knew the grocery stores would be insane. I hate crowds and I was not about to deal with all that for some cream! So although I try to make everything homemade I can, I decided to use a Classico® brand mushroom alfredo sauce I had in the pantry.

I had a few vegetables that I wanted to use up in the fridge, as well a bit of Chardonnay. I decided to make a vegetable alfredo sauce with white wine. Sounds fancy, right? I roughly chopped 2 cloves of garlic and some mushrooms, zucchini, onion and green pepper (all in all about 2½ cups of veggies). So all I did was saute those vegetables on medium heat until they were soft and fragrant and then added about 1/4 cup of flour to make a roux. I stirred the roux for two minutes to get rid of the starchy taste and then I added about a cup of white wine and a 1/2 cup of milk. I cooked the liquids down for a few minutes and then I added the canned alfredo sauce. Then I simply turned the heat down to low and brought the sauce to a very light simmer and let it thicken while I got the pasta and garlic bread ready.

You could use any vegetables you have in your fridge, and this would even be great with a marinara sauce (although I'd use red wine instead of white). Like I said, this isn't much of a recipe, but I wanted to share how I made a canned sauce taste amazing! My family loved it.

Cheers and happy cooking,
Izzy V.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment