I originally made the actual brownie recipe on the Brown Eyed Baker website, but... I had a bit of a travesty in the kitchen! I messed up on two accounts. First, I used double the amount of melted butter in the peanut butter swirl on accident so my brownies were RUINED. The peanut butter swirl was way too liquidy and it was boiling and bubbling instead of baking! Seriously tragic! I had to throw that batch away.
Secondly, I used a double boiler instead of a large bowl OVER a pot of simmering water. So my chocolate and butter mixture was too hot and didn't combine with the sugars correctly. So, needless to say, it was a total failure.
I made the recipe again (because I had promised my cousin who helped me move out of my dorm that I would bake him something), but with a brownie mix this time- I was NOT going to go through all the work for the original recipe! And the result? Great! They were delicious. The peanut butter swirl is SO delicious and easy to whip up.
I'm not going to include the brownie recipe that was originally on Brown Eyed Baker because, even if my brownies didn't turn out to be a disaster, I found that recipe too work-intensive. If you want the original brownie recipe, check out her site!
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Your favourite brownie recipe for an 8x8 pan (I used a mix)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare brownie recipe as directed and pour into 8x8 pan.
- Whisk the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Drop the peanut butter mixture into the brownie batter using a spoon. With a butter knife, swirl the peanut butter mixture by running the knife crosswise and length wise through the batters.
- Bake according to the directions on the brownie recipe.