Sunday 22 April 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo with Mushrooms, Turkey Sausage and Fettuccine

Pin It


Hello all! Sorry for being MIA this week. I had exams ALL week, and I was staying in my dorm. When I'm in Ottawa during the school year, I stay in my dorm during the week and spend most weekends at my grandma's. That's where I do all my cooking-- it's hard to cook with just a dirty microwave that I share with the rest of my floor (ew) while I'm in my dorm. So I've been busy taking exams and I haven't even had access to a kitchen to cook, hence the total lack of posts this week. 

Actually, I won't be posting any recipes for two weeks-- I'm going to Paris!! I'm actually in the airport waiting for my flight as I'm writing this. So while I'll try to write a few posts about Paris, I won't be posting as usual for two weeks.

Anyway, back to the food. Friday night I went to my grandma's and made this dish and it was SO good! I love pasta and I love creamy sauces (healthy combination, I know). It was so simple too! This is a simple mushroom Alfredo sauce with pureed roasted red peppers added. And, of course, you can leave the turkey sausage and/or mushrooms out. Also, feel free to use regular Italian sausage- I used turkey because I don't eat red meat. I just think the combination of the two works perfectly in the roasted red pepper sauce. This sauce isn't spicy or too hot, but it has a perfect red pepper flavour. It was awesome. This is definitely something I'll be making again!


Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo with Mushrooms, Turkey Sausage and Fettuccine
Yield: 4 servings

  • 2 medium red peppers, cut into wedges
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 1-½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound Fettuccine noodles, cooked
  • 2-4 Italian turkey sausages (your preference)
  1. Cook turkey sausages according to instructions on package. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 425ºF. On a baking sheet, toss red pepper wedges with a light drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and spread in a single layer. Roast for 18-20 minutes until peppers are tender and slightly charred. Remove from the oven and in a food processor or blender, add roasted red peppers and blend until pureed. Set aside.
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the garlic and mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden and fragrant. Turn to low heat and add heavy cream, cheese, and red pepper puree, and turkey sausage. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
  4. Toss sauce with fettuccine and serve, sprinkling with Parmesan cheese if desired. 

    Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen.
     
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and I love using turkey sausage too! I hope your exams went well and you enjoy your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you bring back memories....I remember baking cookies in a toaster oven in my dorm room. This looks scrumptious. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! :-) I hope all went well with your exams! Please feel free to stop by and link this up with my "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I'd love to have you join us each week. :-)

    ReplyDelete