I've been seeing egg-free cookie dough recipes all over the food blogging world lately. I always loved to taste the dough whenever I make cookies, brownies, or cakes, so I thought I'd try it out. Brown Eyed Baker had a great idea to put cookie dough on top of brownies. I loooove brownies so I knew I had to try this recipe!
I actually had a totally idiotic moment when baking these brownies. The recipe called for one cup of butter as well as 3/4 of a cup. I was under the assumption that one cup = one stick of butter. So I used a 1/2 cup of butter for the brownies and 3/8 of a cup of butter for the cookie dough. Logically, I know that one stick of butter is half of a cup but I wasn't thinking (which often happens). They actually turned out pretty well! The brownies weren't dry at all, especially with the cookie dough on top. The cookie dough was a bit grainy from the sugar and definitely could have used that extra 3/8 cup of butter to make it a bit creamier.
I would have re-made these brownies with the correct amounts of butter, but my family really wasn't crazy about them. They all said the brownies were good, but the cookie dough was too much and made the brownies too rich. I personally liked it, but I'm not going to make a batch of brownies just for myself! If you're one of those people who likes cookie dough and the trend of cookie dough dips, you should definitely try these brownies!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
For the Brownies:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Cookie Dough:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil, with enough to hang over all four sides. Butter the foil.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping the bowl as needed. Mix in the melted chocolate until combined. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour and mix just until combined (don’t over-mix). Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine the butter and both sugars. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until combined. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour just until combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about an hour. Use a sharp knife to cut the brownies. Store the brownies in an airtight container at cool room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker.